Rowing machine recommendation?

Michael Lampi

Asking for a friend: What's a reasonably good rowing machine to get these days? While I see the Concept 2 Models D & E most frequently in the few exercise gyms or rowing clubs or cruise ships I've visited, they seem to be a bit spartan and high priced compared to what is available.

Thanks!

Michael Lampi

Peter Hirtle

Concept 2 is the industry standard and they are built to last.  RP3 is a better rowing simulator but is more expensive and not as rugged.

Peter

Sent from here.

On Friday, November 27, 2020, 11:34:31 AM PST, Michael Lampi <soundrowers.board@...> wrote:

Asking for a friend: What's a reasonably good rowing machine to get these days? While I see the Concept 2 Models D & E most frequently in the few exercise gyms or rowing clubs or cruise ships I've visited, they seem to be a bit spartan and high priced compared to what is available.

Thanks!

Michael Lampi

Rod Sternagel

Hey Michael,

It depends on what you are looking for. Your assessment of Concept 2 is correct, however it is the standard machine used for competitions, both virtual and live, so it is popular for that reason at a minimum. They are also well built and can take a fair amount of abuse which is one of the reasons they are popular in gyms. On the downside (from my viewpoint), their primary purposes are to develop strength and endurance — not sculling technique. Concept 2 does have a couple of options that help a little with technique — they make a Dynamic model (which is what I have) and a slide to mount on the Model D. Both of these force you into getting the  timing and rythem of a stroke closer to what makes a scull move more efficiently through the water.

If you do not care about the competition aspect and want one that is cheaper, with more features, or with a closer approximation of sculling, there are lots of options. Water rowers are popular (they use water for resistance rather than a fan). There are a few that simulate sculling more closely. I have not done much comparison shopping over the years other than try out a few of them at different rowing events so I cannot be of much help there.

~Rod

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:34 AM, Michael Lampi <soundrowers.board@...> wrote:

Asking for a friend: What's a reasonably good rowing machine to get these days? While I see the Concept 2 Models D & E most frequently in the few exercise gyms or rowing clubs or cruise ships I've visited, they seem to be a bit spartan and high priced compared to what is available.

Thanks!

Michael Lampi

Bob Miller

I'm sure there are other options if a good workout is the only priority. If, however, one wants to compare progress and performances as well as compete (both in time rankings and in internet connected competitions) with the world wide rowing community there's no option other than a Concept 2. I can't speak for everybody, but the supporting ecosystem is a hugely significant motivation enabler.

Bob Miller

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:46am Michael Lampi  wrote:

Asking for a friend: What's a reasonably good rowing machine to get these days? While I see the Concept 2 Models D & E most frequently in the few exercise gyms or rowing clubs or cruise ships I've visited, they seem to be a bit spartan and high priced compared to what is available.

Thanks!

Michael Lampi

Bob Miller
ramiller@...

Michael Lampi

Thanks! I guess the Concept 2 is the way to go after all...

Debbie Natelson

Good discussions so far...just fyi, I've heard the concept II rowing machines are backlogged in terms of ordering a new one.  The pandemic has forced a lot of people, rowers and just folks locked out of their gyms to turn to ergs as an efficient way to keep in shape.  My friend has been trying to order one for his 86 yr old mom! ....(yes, she was rowing regularly w San Francisco Parks Dept rowing program....until Covid put the breaks on team rowing.... The kids noticed their mom aging more all of a sudden... so I suggested they get her "back in the saddle" with an erg. My friend's been on a wait list for a few months now... Covid may be bad for some businesses, but certainly not for Concept II.
Good luck.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020, 3:01 PM Michael Lampi <soundrowers.board@...> wrote:
Thanks! I guess the Concept 2 is the way to go after all...

Michael Lampi

I was finally to place an order for the machine early last week. It should be delivered by the end of this week!