2006 races

Steve Wells <steve@...>

Hi All,
Shane has just sent his annual email to begin the process that leads
at Annual Meeting to adoption of a race calendar for next year. He
mentions that Bela would like to hand over the Manchester race to
another and that Steve Bennett would like an earlier date for the
Marathon.

Here's what I sent to the Race Directors in response...
"Hi All,
In addition to the possible changes mentioned by Shane, I've also
been considering a change of venue. This began with my move away
from Olympia and gained momentum as we once again had very calm
waters for the race this year. I'm feeling that Olympia doesn't
offer a true "open water" racing experience, and am aware that more
and more flat water boats are used at the Olympia race. I've
discussed my feelings with some of the regulars at Olympia Area
Rowing, and they feel just as strongly that they'd like to see a
race continued there. They like the flat water and like using their
flat water boats. If I don't advocate for the Olympia site, they
want to. So, I say fine... join Sound Rowers and come to the Annual
Meeting. Meanwhile I'd been thinking about possible alternatives.
One would be a race around Fox Island, though we see at New Years
Day that the parking is limited. Another option would be to have a
shorter race from the Fox Island launch around Cutts (aka Deadman's)
Island and back. A third alternative was suggested by Todd Silver
last week... from Gig Harbor around one leg of the Narrows Bridge
timed at slack water. I'd expected having this discussion at Annual
Meeting, but it's not too early for feedback. So... does anybody
care?

If there's significant support for the Olympia venue and little
interest in something in my new neighborhood, perhaps I could best
serve by helping with Manchester.

Let's not forget the email to the Yahoo Group this summer from the
folks at Vancouver Lake who've expressed an interest in sponsoring a
race."

thanks,
Steve

Glenn/Cheryl ROGERS

If it helps, I live across Hales Passage from fox Island.  There is room to park about ten cars here and paddle to the start which is about a mile across the passage.  Fox island is a great paddle at about 13 miles.

Glenn

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/d6TolB/TM

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/