Sausage Pull Cancelled

Sound Rowers

Update on the Mercer Island Sausage Pull race cancellation follows. A big thank you to the Storbs for putting on a great race for many years. We’ll see if we can get things going in 2022.

Since this event is based out of a city park SPD Harbor Patrol have required a parks permit. Because the race traverses different jurisdictions, including the waterway of Lake Washington, it technically requires a special use permit, which is subject to review by the SPD Harbor Patrol. Due to an unfortunate incident with a dragon boat a few years ago, the SPD has the race on their radar and, upon review, determined the event requires a patrol boat assigned at a cost of over $200 per hour. The additional costs total nearly $2000. The last minute fees make it infeasible to run the race this year and the race has been cancelled.

There are options to consider, such as dramatically increasing the entry fee, some sort of sponsorship, or basing the race out of a private venue. These will certainly be considered looking forward but for now the race is off.