Re: Zoom race

carrie weisse

Since this is a timed race I would not necessarily be back to my start point.  Is it a requirement to be back exactly at my start?  For example I could row along the coast and turn around. The tides would determine actual speed. I may need to row against the tide for  35 min and then with the tide for maybe 25 min to be back at the start in exactly an hour.

May be a good idea to require the race be run on non-tidal water, non-current water, such as a lake.

Lastly, could we do a trial race to determine if the zoom method works? I'd need to find somewhere with a good internet connection.  What happens if we lose the connection in the middle of the "race"?

Thanks. Great idea!

Carrie Weisse

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020, 3:32:54 PM PDT, Peter & Vanessa <pvturcan@...> wrote:

Board,

I am thinking of running an online-Zoom on-the-water race. Sending out details something like the following, comments?

Sound Rowers Zoom race 1: 10am Saturday 10th September
This is an open water race, for any human-powered craft. Entry is free, to members and non-members.

Rules:

0. A Zoom link will appear in the Google signup sheet, before the race.
1. The race is for the period of exactly 1 hour, determined by how far you go.
2. Wear a mask whilst on land, before and after racing.
3. You can select your own race course, any open water, but the course must be a loop, or out-and-back. You must finish more or less where you start.
4. Use your smartphone (ideally perhaps in a waterproof case) to log into the Zoom call, and the start will be a verbal "Go".
5. After exactly one hour, "Stop" will be called, and record your distance, ideally using GPS.
6. Write up your distance, comments, race course, etc., in the Google sign up sheet.
7. Digital ribbons will be mailed to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each class. Normal Sound Rowers classes apply.

I will be starting at the 14th Ave NW boat launch in Ballard, going up the ship canal, round Lake Union, and back down the ship canal. A 12 Km course. Join me if you live nearby, otherwise any water works.