Re: Not that it really matters...

Todd Silver

Jon,
Thanks for the nice note. I’m not sure I understand what should have happened. We really do want to get folks listed in the correct categories as it does matter. As a rower, I have to admit that I know little about the various forward facing craft so rely on folks to self-identify at registration. Sorry if that didn’t happen correctly.
I’ve copied our Sound Rower  friend and expert on kayaks and surf skis, Shane Baker, as he might be able to answer any questions or clarify. If I need to mail correct ribbons to you or anyone else I’d be happy to do so.
I was glad the weather cooperated for the race. Thanks for joining us.
Regards,
Todd

Sent from Todd’s iPhone

On May 12, 2019, at 7:05 PM, Jon Harwood <jcharwood248@...> wrote:

I chose to haul the jumbo Pygmy sea kayak around the buoys at Commencement Bay, leaving the carbon OC1 in the parking lot, because I came for the Blue Ribbon. I wielded a wooden Greenland paddle to match the wooden boat, just to make my martyrdom complete -- and maximize my time on the picturesque Tacoma waters. What happens? Another sea kayak appears! But no! The 14-year old registered it as a "surfski" sea kayak -- unaware that makes it a different class of boat. Pics don't lie! Peyton finished less than a minute ahead, and then didn't appear to collect the covetted Blue Ribbon. I got red.
Does anyone still call it a high performance kayak? Should surfski be on the boat classes instead?
Not that it matters... It's all for fun, and fun for all!