Re: stand up?

surfskilady

Thanks Debbie. A SUP won the short course overall of the Dirty Dan in 2009. There are definitely faster and slower board designs, but, with all the various crafts that attend Sound Rowers events – peddling, paddling, facing forward, facing backward… why not standing up?

Heather

From: debbie natelson [mailto:deborow1@...]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 12:44 AM
To: tom; Steve Wells
Cc: SoundRowers@...; joost.zeegers@...; Heather Nelson; Brian boatman; 'Donald Kiesling'
Subject: Re: [SoundRowers] stand up?

Steve,

Not sure if the SUP's are really all that slow. Some of our SoundRowers -- former kayak and canoe junkies -- have found the SUPs to be their new obsession.  Seems like they are going about 5mph.  Below are results from their Tues night series up in Bellingham. While not as fast as typical rowing shells (sliding seat), the SUPs are not slower than traditional dories or regular sea kayaks that we welcome at SR races.

http://paddlegrandprix.com/weekly-races/

Before we discourage their participation in SR races, I would suggest that we get some input on typical speeds from SUP devotees with more race experience: Joost Zeegers, Heather Nelson,  Don Keisling, and Brian Boatman to name a few.

Maybe for those SUP that are slower, there might be a suggestion that these paddlers choose the short course option. ???  But there are some pretty speedy SU paddlers out there.

I look forward to hearing comments from those more experienced.

Thanks,
Debbie